Monday, June 4, 2012

Creativity & God

In case you didn't know already, I'm a graphic designer and considered a decently creative person. I see something, and I automatically think about 3 other things you could do with it. I collect hubcaps I find on the street and paint them. I drive by dumpsters, wondering what secret treasures I can find. I'll take photographs of all sorts of things, hoping to hit the right lighting and angle. I'm always searching for new, crazy out-of-the-box ideas in hopes of creating something, anything really. I just love creating things.

Yet, I feel like more often than not, when it comes to my creative-type of personality that relies on an inner artistic intuition and moments of inspiration, that it collides with my faith as a Christian. When I think of "church", I suddenly get this sense to loosen the tie around my neck when I have never worn a tie in my life. I guess what I'm saying is, when I usually think of "church", I think of rules and a set of ideas that I must adhere to..... OR ELSE. 

Rules generally don't make me that uncomfortable. But there's a certain type of rules or something, that makes me go queezy. I remember when everyone was into Myers Briggs, and someone said, "Oh Hannah! What's your Myers Briggs?" I had become so irritated with all the nonsense at the time that I replied, "AH! Why are we relying on Myers Briggs? Don't put people in a box. Four letters cannot sum me up as a person." The person just laughed and said, "Oh Hannah. The funny thing is, that's part of your Myers Briggs." I threw my hands up in the air and replied,

"AH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I then step into the Christian world. Church is on Sunday at the same time. Bible Study is at the same time. For certain Bible Studies, people have a certain way of doing things, where you read the passage, and discuss certain things first, and then certain things afterwards. The discussion must go according to the plan. And not to be mean to my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ, but sometimes you get the same typical Sunday school answers. The ones where, "Well, I haven't read my Bible, so I haven't grown a lot spiritually this week." or "I forgot to pray the past few days and I really need to get better at that." These kind of answers drive me insane and make me want to throw dish ware at the walls. Not only are these answers more often shallow and lack depth, but I keep thinking, "Ya know, you can experience God in other things. Daily life is an experience with God." Spice things up people! 

You see, for me, God shows up in so many ways, I'm always surprised. He keeps saying, "You don't think I'm here? Oh, but I am!" I've gone to events or places and thought, "Surely, I won't be able to find God's presence here." But sure enough, I see His truth and presence planted right in front of me. I've gone to bars and had deep and honest spiritual talks that have more depth than the ones I would experience at Bible Study. I go to secular events or ceremonies, and someone will say something and my ears will perk at something that was said or done, and I'm like, "Whoa! There's Jesus!" 

My daily struggles as a human being, at work and home, with family and friends, show me God's beauty and grace everyday. I look at my brother and sister, and admire their beauty as they continue to grow into adults. I look at myself, and see my own womanly beauty and the changes that have happened to me as I've grown. I talk with nonreligious co-workers, and I'll feel convicted to love others better, hearing God's reminder to love his people. And as I sit and create artwork, I'm reminded of the one and true creator that is the source of all artistic expression. I believe it was Michael Jackson who said this about song writing, 

"You hear the words, everything is right there in front of your face. And you say to yourself, 'I'm sorry, I just didn't write this. It's there already.' That's why I hate to take credit for the songs I've written. I feel that somewhere, someplace, it's been done and I'm just a courier bringing it into the world. I really believe that."
That's how it is when I create art. An image will show up in my head and I'm using all my skills and know-how to make it come to life. It's not like you really created it, but caught a glimpse of glory that you must use earthly tools to bring to life. It was there, already, and you get the chance to take part in creating it.

So sometimes, while I feel like creativity and Christianity don't go hand-in-hand and feel this pressure to live life in a certain way or distinction, I stop and remind myself about who is the most creative one: God. The one who comes up with the most unique and original ways to do things is God. God is constantly surprising me and keeping me on my toes. God always reminds me to not put him in a box. He isn't just in church, he isn't just in prayer, he isn't just in the Word (but these are awesome and real sources to experience God), but he's everywhere, from the beggar I pass on the street to my dog at home, from the view from my window to the view from the top of the mountain: God is everywhere.

It's funny too because anytime I feel like I should try and love someone and bring "God's presence into their life", I'm usually whacked right back with God's presence already there in front of me, brought to me by the very person I thought I should help. I barely feel like I help anyone, because I'm usually met with God's presence and his love flowing through the other person right back. In the end, I'm the one that is being helped.

So of course creativity and God go hand in hand. God's super creative! I just have to remind myself to keep being creative in my walk with God. I don't want to be satisfied with the same routine, but constantly taking our relationship outside the box and letting God 'WOW' me all over again.



1 comment:

  1. Who better to inspire creativity than the creator :p very interesting view on the subject, keep up the good work and maybe post some of those hidden treasures on Facebook sometime? :3

    ReplyDelete