Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Korean Music

OK. So I'm going to throw a little culture your way. Specifically some Korean culture.

I don't know all that much about Korean culture. I'm definitely more in tune with Japanese culture since I read manga, which are Japanese comic books (I call it my secret nerdy passion. Sh... don't tell.) But I have read and own South Korean comic books, which are more formally known as manhwa. I'm no pro at either of the two cultures, but after reading manga and manhwa, you pick up on a few things.

So here's a Korean Boy Band for you. I feel like boy bands are a pretty big thing in Asian countries, specifically Japan and Korea (those are the main bands I see anyways, performing Jpop and Kpop). And while I actually don't listen to this music a lot, a friend showed me this video and it's pretty cool. I mean, sure, they do a little dance that's kind of weird, but the overall stage and quality is nice. Also note, they have English phrases in there too. That's something else I notice about Japanese and Korean songs: they often have English phrases thrown in there, whether to make it sound hip or just because it fits in with the song.


OK. So even if you don't watch the video, I'll share this picture with you, in hopes of a good laugh. It's from the movie "Only Yesterday" an older anime film from Studio Ghibli (which is a Japanese film company), where a girl reflects back on her childhood. This is a memory from her 4th grade year.




No comments:

Post a Comment