Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Memories

The lights of the city and cars dance before my eyes. Soothing music comes out of the car speakers, matching the wearied travelers' mood as they yearn for rest and peace after a long day. And then I turn to my companion, who has fallen asleep, eyes closed and mouth slightly ajar as I drive along: he's my younger brother and I smile.

I realize I have to take in these moments and hold them dear. As I get older, I realize car adventures with my brother become fewer and fewer. He and I have begun to lead our own lives and drive our own cars; where before, I had to drive him everywhere and we were often buddies on the road, talking about our lives, singing to songs, and discussing ideas. But now, I live in another city, and he has begun driving himself, and moments like this, are few and far between. So I hold these moments dear.

The moments where I get to see him so relaxed and unguarded. Many see him on the wrestling mat, pinning down another man in a fierce and merciless fashion. Or they see him standing strong, stoic and silent, as he walks along to his destination. Yet, it's in the car that I have often heard him open up about his thoughts and life, and then see him unguarded, like now, falling asleep. These moments I hold in my heart, looking at them and breathing in their essence, knowing change is on the horizon and that, as we get older, other people will enter into our lives and take up our time and energy.

So I hold these moments dear, tucking them away in my heart to remember later on as we go through life and change.




No comments:

Post a Comment