Wednesday, May 16, 2012

What's the point?

Here's a post that I found, but didn't seem to publish. I quite like it though. So here it goes: 

Here am I, thinking about a variety of things, but with a certain question:

What's the point?

And.... Are you forgetting about what really matters?

It started with a talk with my mother. I was telling her how I tend to be a perfectionist, and how that can be quite dangerous for many reasons. She replied back, "I can see that. Even from a young age, you always did seem to only want to do things if you could do them well." I took that comment and thought about it some more. I knew it to be true. It was something I had come to realize a while ago. It's something I've especially thought about when it comes to art. Many times, the end result doesn't please me and I'm so frustrated with myself. I've often thought, "What's the point in doing this if I suck so much?!" I mean, we all want to be good at something. It gives us joy and fulfillment. And I not only want to be good at art, but at many other things as well.

Soon, my thoughts transferred over to God and my faith with him. And I remember thinking, "Well, I want to do this right. I have to make sure I do everything right for God. I should aim for..... per-fec-tion..... wait, what?"

And that's when the thought hit me:

I often focus on being such a "good Christian" that I lose sight of God.

I realiized today that we could apply this message to many parts of our lives.

How many of us focus on being "good students", that we forget what being a student is all about? We are called students to "learn", but somehow, it became about the grades, the results.

How many dads focus on being a "good father", to the point they even forget their families?

How many of us artists focus on being the best artist, that we forget the point of art itself?

How many of us are dying to find that "right person", to the point where we forget why we even wanted to find that one life mate? We forget that we desire to find a partner to take on life together with, not for some fulfillment or for some game. We then begin searching and searching, until we realize, that all of our pursuits were not going in the direction we originally intended to at all.

How many of us focus on being a "good Christian", that we forget Christ himself?

Suddenly, things are a list of "dos" and "donts", but also a "don't have time to", "you're bothering me", or "I have better things to do." You end up forgetting the reason why you began in the first place.

What did you forget?

No comments:

Post a Comment