Wednesday, May 9, 2012

About to Take a Leap

So I'm sitting here, with a phone in hand and staring at a phone number I want to call. I'm about to call about a job offered to me here in Tucson. It's a very exciting time and I'm just happy to have a job offer. It makes it feel like things are moving forward, ya know?

But yet, a stray thought comes into play and says, "Is this what you really want to do?" And well, my answer is "I'm not sure. I don't think so". Then a slew of thoughts come running at me and say, "You're settling then! You're not going out and having an adventure!! Go and do big things!" 

I feel like this is a struggle many of us have: the feeling of that we're missing out on some "big adventure". That if we settle and have a day job, that we're not making some huge big change in the world. We're not making a change and we're not affecting anyone at all and are just wasting our time.

I have to say that's a huge big fat lie. 

The thing is, with each new job or experience, whether it's mediocre or extravagant, will teach us new things and grow us in new ways. They're always stepping stones to our future, even though we won't realize that till we can look back and connect the dots. I often think I'm not doing anything big or haven't done anything huge in the past few years of my life at college. Yet, I then undermine each person's life I have affected and each friendship I've ever had. I am affecting people, whether I realize it or not. 

And also, the thing is, I am a very young person still. I have a slew of time to figure things out and go on many more adventures. Do I want to travel? Yes. So great. I'm getting a job now where I can save money and make more connections and find a way to travel. Do I want to keep on taking more pictures and become a better photographer? Yes. Great! I have the camera and skill sets, so I just have to keep practicing. Do I want to continue to make new friends and love on the people around me? Yes! Yes! YES! Great. I have family, friends, acquaintances, and co-workers that I can affect and love on each day of my life. 

Big adventures don't necessarily happen in one huge moment or in a certain time span. The "big adventure" is life, and each new experience fits into the overall scheme. The story doesn't end till you die, so don't put the book down like you're already done. Keep on going and keep on dreaming. 

I'm going to go make a phone call now. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment