Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Broken Pieces

I had a mental image the other as I thought about many things. 

I was in the middle of a bunch of shattered glass, picking up each piece and trying to gather them all, even though they were everywhere. I somehow knew that the broken pieces were pieces of myself. I felt overwhelmed, but at the same time, like it was my duty to pick up each piece. "I have to do this" I thought. "This is what they tell me to do." But as moments passed, I then thought, "I just.... I just... wished someone.... would tell me I don't have to. I just wish someone would say it's OK to be weak." Feeling overwhelmed, I just wanted to sit there and cry in the sea of broken glass. 


Suddenly, that's when Jesus appeared kneeling down next to me; he began picking up the pieces of shattered glass as well. I turned to him, and he looked at me and smiled. "I'm here to help you. You don't have to do it by yourself." He then turned back to picking up the glass. "Let's do this together." 


And suddenly, the pieces of glass didn't feel overwhelming. I felt like I could keep picking up the pieces. It was there, Jesus told me, "It's OK to be broken. I will be there with you in your brokenness and help you." 


The thing is, people want to be accepted for who they are, faults and all. But also, people don't want to sit in their own brokeness. People don't want to continue to have faults. They want to become better people. We all have this desire to do good, but that's where it stops. It's a desire. A desire that is easy to have when everything is going well. But suddenly, when things are going bad and the goodness in our own lives is stripped away, so the desire to do good and help others is stripped away as well. 


Yet, it's in those moments, when a hand that is reached out to us, that we are able to grab it and move forward. When someone begins helping to pick up the pieces of our lives, of ourselves, and helps place them together with us, that's when the desire is renewed. Jesus does that day in and day out. He meets us there, in our brokenness, ad mist the pieces of ourselves, and begins picking up the pieces with us. He says, "You don't have to go at it alone. Let me help you." And better yet, he says, "It's OK to be broken. It's OK to have faults. It's OK to be weak. That's why I'm here." 

Life will come at you, and leave a mess of things around you. But you're never at it alone. Let God come in and pick things up with you, and many times, for you. It's not a bad thing. It's a very human thing. 

Psalm 147:3 - "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds". 


No comments:

Post a Comment