Thursday, June 10, 2010

Books Are My Friends

I realized today that when I read books, I feel like I've made a new friend.

Is that weird?

I noticed it today as I was finishing up a series I was reading in the book store. I was too cheap to buy it and I knew there was no guarantee it was going to be good. So I just decided to read it in the store. By the end, I was tempted to take the books home and put them on my shelf, along with many other books of mine. The series itself was OK. No big plot twists, but I loved the characters. I just remember thinking in the end, "I don't want to part like this. I want to take the books home and remember..." and then I was like, "Wait... remember what??"

That's when I realized that when I read the book and really enjoy the characters, I feel as if I'm making a new friend. It's not so crazy really once you think about it. You get to know the character really well (most of the time, their deepest and darkest secrets) and in a sense, you're spending time with them (and my love language is quality time). That sounds just like a friendship, to me at least.

And it also explains why I have a hard time getting rid of books in my collection I have on my shelf. I look at each and think about how well I got to know the characters and sometimes, even what I was going through at the time I read them. I remember cheering them on as they went through some crisis or feeling sad when their lives weren't going so well. I laughed with them and rejoiced when the character/s finally won out in the end. So, when I look at each book, I think of the stories and characters I've read about and have grown to cherish. That's why it's hard for me to part from them. And I always want to collect more, not only because I love having a big collection, but because each one was a friend I made and I want to keep them forever.

I wonder if this makes me sound crazy. Probably does. Oh well.


No comments:

Post a Comment