Sunday, July 26, 2009

I Have A Dream

I know the title is cliche, and it still doesn't seem to fit what I want to say exactly, but hey, I figured I might as well roll with it.

I have this huge, pressing urge within myself to unite everyone; to bring people together and have them put aside their differences. Is that so weird? Do others dream of this? When I imagine everyone gathering together under one cause, it sends chills down my spine and makes me so happy. I seriously want something like this to happen.

I think I've had this desire for a while now. I remember when I was in third grade and I was walking with some friends to see an argument go down. I don't remember what was going on exactly (It was like 15 years ago or so) or what was even said. But I do remember one girl talking and I replied, "Well, why can't she just forgive her and move on? Why can't we all just get along?" The girl next to me replied, "Oh give me a break. Like that's going to happen." And my young naive self said, "Well, it happens on TV all the time. So why can't we just do it?" She replied in an annoyed tone, "Because things don't happen like they do on TV. This is real life." I remember feeling ever so sad at that comment. Not because I wanted real life to be like TV, but because the idea of everyone getting along seemed like such a reachable goal, but at the same time, no one was willing to participate. I probably remember this well because it's one of those life lessons you learn as a kid that you don't tend to forget.

Well, I've grown up now and obviously have learned from first hand experience why people don't get along well. We desire, we want, and we're often willing to hurt others to fulfill our wishes. This yearning for harmony got buried long ago; but it has now resurfaced. Perhaps it is due to my reconnection with God once again. I've reconnected with a part of myself that was once long forgotten. I remember watching one of those idiotic judgmental preachers a few months ago. He was standing in front of a group of 30-40 college students, speaking out against gays, masturbators, and liars and telling them all they were going to Hell unless they gave up their wicked ways and turned to God. I hate preachers like that. Well, I suppose I should say, I hate the way they preach, but whatever. And naturally, the group of college students just yelled back at the preacher, finding holes in his speech and bashing him. They made fun of him and mocked him and told him he was wrong. While I was infuriated with the speech, I was even more saddened. I seriously wanted to cry at that moment and it isn't until now that I figured out why. I saw division live and in action. There were two sides. The people behind the preacher, such as his wife and children and friends, and then there were the college students; and both sides were yelling at each other. I wanted to run into the middle and tell everyone to stop fighting and arguing.

But I couldn't.

I knew what my interference would have done. I would just have been the third party in the whole argument, throwing my voice into all the yelling. The preacher was one of those that just wouldn't go down and kept on yelling at the students. Naturally, they yelled back. I didn't know what to do or how to stop it. I wanted to; I honestly did. But.... I've been in such past experiences where you try to make peace, but end up becoming part of the argument. So, I walked away with a saddened heart.

So, this is where my dilemma comes in. I don't know how to unite everyone, or even if it's possible. Everyone is so different and want stuff, so... how? It's quite a big undertaking, wouldn't you say? Well, if not you, I know I'm saying so! How in the world am I supposed to accomplish this dream I have? I want to, I really do. But I don't know how, where, when, or in what pretenses am I supposed to unite people. Is this just me being ridiculous and idealistic? I want to see people gather together, but I just don't know.

Perhaps one day, it will happen, but for now I guess I'll just keep having this dream. This dream where everyone stands together against one force and we all take it on. We put aside our differences and come together as a force that has never been seen before and do what we set out to do. I have this dream, but now.... what to do with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment