Sunday, December 30, 2012

A Moment

I want to write about a small precious moment. You probably know them well. They are usually sought out, very conscious moments. And other times, you are swept off your feet, struck by it and filled with a wonder. For me, today, this moment was a conscious one; one that I sought out and knew to be good. And then... I was swept off my feet and my own definition of "good" didn't suit the moment one bit.

Today, I'm traveling; on my way to Hawaii, passing by other travelers, all with different stories and destinations. First, I had to head to Los Angeles, where I'm currently at this very moment. I've been exhausted most of the day and I have a headache. Blah. So in reality, I'm not feeling very "good" at all.

I get on the plane, and it lifts off, and flies into the sky. I had given up my window seat to a young woman, probably about my own age. The instant we get into the sky and get above the clouds, I regret my decision as I look out past her and through the window. The clouds. The blue sky. They're incredible.

I wish I could get closer, take out my camera and get a picture. Yet, I know the picture wouldn't be able to capture the moment. The small window of the plane is only giving us a small needle-eye hole into an ocean of beauty. I automatically want to jump through the hole and into the sea of wonder and clouds. But the voice over the intercom reminds me I'm on a plane, stuffed between too many human beings, and having to obey the laws of gravity.

The plane ride is mostly uneventful, thankfully quick and short. I bring out my book and read a few pages, hoping some of the drama will pick up soon within the novel. And before I know it, we're told that we will be landing shortly. Good news indeed. And then I look out the window again to see Los Angeles. I think, "I better get one good look of those clouds while I still can." And that's when my breath is cut short and I'm suddenly swept off my feet into that precious moment of wonder.

The first thing that came to my mind was a beautiful painting. The kind where the sky is lit up by a heavenly glow and streams of light fall through the clouds. Blues, purples, and yellows melt together into a wonderful harmony of colors that reaches into your soul. I think of those moments in the movies where they show "heaven", and people are up in the sky. Well, I don't blame theme for choosing such a background for a place. I can't help but marvel at the incredibly beauty of it all. In my mind, I'm trying to decide if the clouds look like a soft layer of fur that you would love to roll in and wrap around your body. But yet, when I stare at the soft yellow clouds, I realize they could also be related to a gentle white landscape of fresh fallen snow. It's that white and serene up here.

We had arrived at the perfect time. The sun was just setting, making it possible to see such a scene. I look at the other side of the plan and out their window. Beautiful, but not quite the same. I glance back at our window. I still wish I could at least attempt to photograph the moment. To capture the intense elegance and grandeur of the moment. But alas, I'm not in the window seat, and the small window wouldn't be able to truly display what I see and know the scene to be. So I have to be content and capture as much detail into my human memory as possible of the moment. The girl and I barely tear our eyes away from the window, both enraptured by the clouds and sky. Eventually, we descend into the clouds and the scene is gone. I'm on the ground, wanting to be back up into the sky.

It's these moments that I must hang onto. I'm about to board the plane to Hawaii. The sun has set and I'm only left with the night and its own sky to travel through. I wish I could see such a scene again. But,  alas, the sky and clouds are never constant, always changing. So I must be content with this memory of the moment. Those moments where you wish to fly and believe that heaven is not only possible, but going to be breath-taking. Yes. I love those moments indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment