Monday, August 20, 2012

Silly Work Days

So... I like my job. Like seriously.

It came as a huge surprise to me when I began to realize it and I was even hesitant to say it at first. "What if I say it now, but then later, end up not liking it??" entered into my mind. But... I have to realize that there are times when I will like things and other times, when I won't. What matters is that I'm also committed to this job, and will come day in and day out, no matter what.

But really, I do like my job.

There are stressful times, with deadlines that come too soon, lack of inspiration moments that I must push through, and lots of people coming to you with lots of ideas and expecting you to be a miracle worker and "just do it all at once". But even despite all those, I can get through that with supportive friends, families, and well... co-workers! The past week or two, I was kind of surprised at my own co-workers helping me push along some stressful work load and doing their best to encourage me and talk to me about some stuff.

A week or two ago, I had stopped by one of my co-workers who's about my age and asked him, "Hey, do you think I work hard?" He paused, nodded and said, "Yeah... I think so." I nodded and then walked away, hoping that my hard work was being seen by others. I think I also left him a bit puzzled since the question was sort out of nowhere.

A week later, as I was working nearby, he began talking to me and said, "Hey, I heard John say he's really impressed with your work. He was bragging about it and says he's like what you're doing. So... you're doing a good job." It didn't really hit me till later that he was probably trying to reassure me that people could tell I was working hard.  Others began complimenting me on all the work I had been doing and I felt relieved. Glad that my efforts were being noticed and they were working.

After the stressful work order had mostly passed, I could relax a bit more and take more time to talk with others. I've begun a war where I go and change my friend's desktop background, having all sorts of fun with it. I walked in the next morning after I changed it and he turned to me and said, "YOU!!! It was you!!!" I just smiled and said, "Happy Friday!"

Later on that day, I walked in and sat down at my desk. My screen saver soon popped up as I shuffled papers on my desk around and I noticed one of the pictures looked a bit different. (My screen saver does a slideshow of pictures I have taken in the past). When I got a closer look, I saw that Batman had been placed in the image along with the bat signal. I instantly knew who was and turned to one of my pre-press co-workers and said, "How did Batman get in my photo!" I began searching through other photographs and saw that he had photoshopped quite a few of my photos. I still have to figure out a way to get back at him, but I was glad to find someone else at work who likes to pull pranks or be silly.




That afternoon (I guess it was just a silly Friday), I had walked out of the bathroom and the accountant lady saw me and had been waiting to use it. She exclaimed, "You! It's you again! It's always you in the bathroom." I just laughed and said, "You got to be a bit quicker to get in there." She turned to one of the guys about my age and she goes, "You see that! She's always in the bathroom." I began laughing and he took out his flash light and pointed it at me. I yelled, "Hey! Don't flash me!" as I walked by. He then threw his hands up in the air and then on his hips and said, "I DO WHAT I WANT!!" I then threw my hands up in the air and said, "BAH! WHATEVER!" And then all of us started laughing. 

For me, work environment can really make or break a place. I mean, you do spend most of your time there anyways. I'm also lucky that I get to be the only graphic designer here and get to act like a sort of art director. There's no one directly supervising me, which fits me and my personality perfectly. I get to roam, and be creative as I go. It makes me motivated to work really hard and keep pushing out more and more work. It's just a major plus that I work in a small company and everyone is super nice and helpful. I really like it. 

Plus, I get free printing. Who wouldn't love that as a designer? 

No comments:

Post a Comment