Tuesday, July 17, 2012

An Awesome Birthday

So I have to give all my friends props: they are SUPER AWESOME!!! My birthday was the other day, and they all made me feel so special. :)

Here's what happened. I was driving back to Tucson after having dinner with my family in Phoenix. It was my "birthday dinner", since I wouldn't actually be able to see them and celebrate on my actual birthday, which was the next day. I thought about how what I would really love was to just have all my close friends around me on my actual birthday and just wish me a "Happy Birthday".

But alas, many of my close friends are in other cities, states, or countries. I knew I wouldn't be able to get to see them. And while I still had friends in my city to celebrate it, my birthday landed on a Monday, which just seemed like an awkward day to have some sort of party and such. And really, I didn't want a party. I just wanted my friends by my side, eating good food and having good quality conversations.

So with these limitations, but still the desire to see my friends' faces, I texted a few people asking them to make me a video of them wishing me a "Happy Birthday". I missed them and I really just wanted to see them. I didn't text a lot of people, just a few, unsure of who would really do it.

And of course, I also soon had a brief moment of doubt and fear that I was somehow being selfish. I was being selfish to request people to do anything for me and should just be satisfied with whatever I was given. I didn't want to be a burden to anyone or force anyone to do anything.

Thankfully, a good friend reminded me that I wasn't being selfish and that people often want to do things for others, especially on their birthdays. If anything, it was great that I had given some guidelines and been specific about what I wanted, which would leave a lot of guesswork out for people.

So my birthday rolled around, and as I saw each new video, I became incredibly happy. I felt so touched and loved and couldn't believe how great some of the videos I received were. People made me laugh and smile and feel truly touched with their words. I knew I always liked having videos made for me and finally asking for them, and receiving them so wonderfully made my birthday truly awesome.

I went out to dinner later that night and laughed and ate great food with a few good friends. The food was excellent and so was the company. I had asked for my leftovers to be boxed and was excited that I would have a tasty lunch for the next day. Later, when I asked for my box, the waitress came back and apologized, saying that my leftovers had been thrown away by the dishwasher. I shrugged at first, disappointed, but being OK. She then quickly added, "So, we're making you a whole new meal and you can take that with you instead. If that's ok." I just smiled and said, "Of course that's OK!! Thank you!!" My friend Nate quickly added, "It is her birthday after all." The waitress went, "Oh wait! What? It's your birthday?? You should have told me." We just laughed and after a while, she gave me my box.  My friends just looked and and said, "I don't know how you did it, but you still got free food."

So thank you to all my friends who wished me a happy birthday and sent me videos. I truly loved them. I know some of you said you will send a video later and I look forward to seeing it. Seriously guys, you all made my birthday truly wonderful. :) Love you guys!!

No comments:

Post a Comment